Congratulations to all the students, staff, teachers and parent volunteers of Signal Hill Elementary! As a result of everyone’s collective fundraising efforts, we have raised over $80,000 and are now only a few weeks away from installation of a NEW INTERMEDIATE PLAYGROUND.
What will the new playground look like?
What about the swings and current play structure?
The original playground plan included the purchase of new swings. At the request of parents, we revisited this and determined that the existing swings were salvageable as long as we didn’t move them. So, 4 swings are staying as is the existing wooden play structure. We’ve had to sacrifice 2 swings in order to accommodate all the new equipment into the plan / space.
Where is the new equipment going to be installed?
The new playground equipment will be located adjacent to the swings and the Outdoor Classroom that was installed last spring.
When will the installation take place?
Site preparation will begin this coming Friday May 2nd with equipment starting to arrive the week of May 6th. The Lunar Blast will be installed on Saturday May 10th with the balance of the equipment being assembled and installed on Sunday May 11th. The playground will be ready to use the week of May 12th.
Stay tuned for details about the Official Opening Ceremony later that week.
How can I help?
We need volunteers to help on Saturday May 10th and Sunday May 11th with assembly and installation of the new equipment. Please plan to come out and help for a few hours! Sign up below.
Thank you, thank you, thank you!
HUGE thanks to Graham Murphy and the team at Murphy Construction for their project management expertise.
We are also very grateful for the contributions from the following organizations:
- Whistler Blackcomb Foundation / Fairmont Foundation ($30,000)
- Village of Pemberton – Community Enhancement Grant ($10,000)
- Community Foundation of Whistler ($5,000)
- Tree Canada / BC Hydro ($5,000)
- School District 48 / Strong Start ($3,000)
- Squamish Lillooet Regional District ‘Area C’ ($2,500)
- Francophone School District 93 ($2,500)
- Growing Great Children (Bench Sponsor)
- Pemberton Lion’s Society (Bench Sponsor)
- Lil’Wat Nation (Bench Sponsor)
- Pemberton Valley Lodge (Bench Sponsor)
- Pemberton Women’s Institute ($500)
Thank you to Nancy Lee, Erica Osburn and Sara Evans for their work on our behalf to secure grant monies.
Thank you to the students who took part in the development of the playground as part of their grade 4/5 project based learning. Also, to team Signal Hill Elementary, winners of the Science World BC Green Games.
VOLUNTEER SIGN UP